Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Exotic, like sex in the Jungle.

Why is it when a woman who looks "exotic," she then has a certain level of beauty that only one of a mixed race background can achieve.

Don't play stupid, I'm not going to sit here and try to legitamize that claim. I bet you anything that when I got out to the club, if I were to tell every guy I meet that I was not only Taiwanese, but Taiwanese AND Chinese (even though they are the same race) it would give me a certain glow of sexiness. Shoot, what if I were to throw in some European ethnicity like French or Italian in there? That's exotic. Sexiness to a whole different level!

Anyway, it's pretty clear that exotic = a sexualized "beautiful." What inspired me to write this blog?

Well I stumbled upon an amazing artist by the name of Janelle Monae on someone else's blog. So I was surfing the net for information about her latest EP that came out in August and stumbled upon a very interesting review. Here is an excerpt from one.

Even before I found out anything about her, I was captivated with her exotic look, her charisma, pure star power, and energy. I thought to myself, 'this woman is just too spirited to be one of those average video girls.' A year or so later, I found about Janelle Monae and realized that she was the woman.

This Amazon customer is commenting on her appearance in the Outkast video "Morris Brown." Janelle actually does not have any vocals in the song, but has a couple of appeareances in the video (hence the this women is too spirited to be one of those average video girls, because video girls of course have no spirit.)

Anyway, so what really disturbed me was the "captivated with her exotic look." So you know what's really great? Just now, I looked up "Exotic" on Dictionary.com to get some inspiration for this blog. (I'm supposed to be working on an application for something but I went brain dead.) but anyway... check out how Dictionary.com defines "Exotic."

ex·ot·ic
ɪgˈzɒtɪk/ –adjective
1. of foreign origin or character; not native; introduced from abroad, but not fully naturalized or acclimatized: exotic foods; exotic plants.
2. strikingly unusual or strange in effect or appearance: an exotic hairstyle.
3. of a uniquely new or experimental nature: exotic weapons.
4. of, pertaining to, or involving stripteasing: the exotic clubs where strippers are featured. –noun
5. something that is exotic: The flower show included several tropical exotics with showy blooms.
6.an exotic dancer; stripper.


I don't even need to write this freakin blog. I think that the fact that dictionary.com has "an exotic dancer; stripper" under the definition for exotic is enough to prove my point.








Janelle you Badddd.

1 comment:

Etheline said...

And I love outkast, but that video objectifies women! He picks flowers with singing women's faces in them, I mean come on!
Good blog!